Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Unopened

It is only risking ourselves from one hour to another that we live at all.
William James

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great ones make you feel that you too can become great.
Mark Twain


I laid myself open,
freely sharing what God had given me to do,

what, for years, had joyously been rendered
from within my heart and spirit.

But the gift was left unopened in indifference,
an experience denied in a poverty of the imagination,

erasing years of acquaintances,
making all former conversations moot,

leaving me a stranger when I longed for an embrace,
a sharing of spirits and souls and friendship.

But it cannot diminish me,
it will not remove the truth and beauty

of the unopened gift.
It will not vanquish what I meant for good.


1 comment:

Moohaa said...

I can so connect to that poem. Very beautiful, Diane. Thank you for sharing this!!