Saturday, September 7, 2013

My book: The Desire Path. I need your opinion.

Back on COEXIST after a long absence. I missed you COEXIST!

I had really given up on my book ever being published or read by more than 100 people. But I've just read that there is a new category in publishing and it is called "NEW ADULT".  It is defined as fiction that would appeal to 18-29 year-olds.

The main character of The Desire Path is a young woman named Lavender.  The story begins when she is 17 and ends at age 30. Wow! A PERFECT "NEW ADULT" book, yes?

I poured my heart and soul into my book for over 4 years. I believed the story and characters were gifts. I didn't seek them out - they just came to me.  But I struggled to even get people I know personally to read it. (I agonized over why they wouldn't too - that's another blog post I suppose).

After a couple years of doing the required research, perfecting my query letter and sending off (many) dozens of them to agents I finally had to let it rest. Some rejection is understandable but years of it is pretty tough to take. It's not that agents didn't like the book - they wouldn't even read it.

So now, do I try again? I am realistic. I don't expect a miracle. But what if the time I didn't try one last time was when it would've happened?  How do you know when giving up is just the reasonable thing to do?

So much unbearable crap is published all the time. I believe in my heart that my book has real merit. There is something that every person can relate to in the story.  It is very readable, not stylistic or wordy. I wrote it to be reader-friendly - a good book club book.  The people came out of my imagination and I cannot explain how that happened because I don't have a great imagination at all.

When I was a child I thought the greatest thing you could ever do would be to write a book.  I did that and I am extremely proud of The Desire Path. I never dreamed about being on Oprah's book club or on the bestseller's list. I only dreamed of writing something worthwhile. Something to make a little difference in an otherwise weary world.

What do you think?

4 comments:

Susan said...

I say go for it. The book is wonderful. i read it in two days. i hope you find success in finding an agent or publisher.

Susan said...

I say go for it. The book is wonderful. i read it in two days. i hope you find success in finding an agent or publisher.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Diane, I'm not sure what you're asking. Do you want to know if you should resubmit to agents after having self-published it? If so, unfortunately, I have to say no. It has a track record now, and agents and publishers will evaluate the book by that. I'm basing this on advice I've read time and again on a writer's forum I belong to. However, there are ways to promote a self-published book. Do you still have my email? If so, email me and I'll give you some of the info I've been gathering to promote my forthcoming novel The Ambitious Madame Bonaparte. If you don't have my email, send me a PM via Facebook.

Sanole said...

I read your book, and loved it. I know nothing about the publishing industry, but do feel that your book deserves an audience...push ahead!