Thursday, February 26, 2015

Everlasting Winter (21st Century Ice Age)

Well, I wrote this last year so we might as well get used to it.


Everlasting Winter
(21st century Ice Age)

I saw a cluster of summer robins
eating frozen crimson berries
from the tree by the stoplight
Do they know there is no
warm place to go this year?

The yard is no longer a vision in white
but encased in an ancient ice age
my dog walks on top of the snow
with an occasional confusing collapse 
as her leg disappears under the crust

It would’ve been a good year to 
start a curling club in the back yard
yesterday morning a -4 froze the 
stinging tears on my face
in the retrieval of the newspaper

It would’ve been a good year to retire
and forsake the endless commute
it might even have been a good year 
to admit that I don’t love winter
as much as I thought I did

No comments: