NO LIFE BUT THIS: A Novel of Emily Warren Roebling is available on Amazon and Barnes & Noble.


It is biographical fiction based on the life of Emily Warren Roebling considered to be the first female field engineer and highly instrumental in the building of the Brooklyn Bridge.


http://atbosh.com/authors/diane-vogel-ferri/

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Daily Dilemma


Our neighborhood has one lake and eight ponds - and dozens of geese! Where did they all come from (Canada? If so why won't they go back?) I truly love birds but all they do is honk and eat and poop and reproduce. Our little lake beach was almost unusable this summer due to their waste products and the lake filled with ecoli as well. We've tried all the legal things and are moving towards desperation. This photo is typical but there is a group of 30+ here all the time. The place that a gosling hatches is the place it will always return, so sadly, the eggs are shaken and unhatched in the spring - but that hasn't stopped them from coming from neighboring ponds. It's too bad there's not room for all of us.

5 comments:

Susan's Snippets said...

I have a friend that rents out her dogs to chase the geese away on golf courses, park ponds, etc. I am not completely familiar with how successful that has been...but she is still being hired!

at least no guns fired

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh My! Thgis is amazing...! I am not sure I would think they are so cute if they were living on my property OR near enough to be a problem.....But I must say, at Hollywood Forever, Well..this is a PERFECT place for them...

I do believe the cobstant "honking" would kind of drive me a bit nutty....lol!

Cheryl said...

They have become a nuisance in the past few years. Something has stopped them from migrating and like you said, their poop is everywhere. Not so cute anymore.

Lynda Meyers said...

If you can't beat 'em, call it a wildlife refuge and charge admission!

The Real Mother Hen said...

I think... they are from Oregon, flew there, and get lost.
You mind sending them back to Oregon?