NO LIFE BUT THIS: A Novel of Emily Warren Roebling is available on Amazon and Barnes & Noble.


It is biographical fiction based on the life of Emily Warren Roebling considered to be the first female field engineer and highly instrumental in the building of the Brooklyn Bridge.


http://atbosh.com/authors/diane-vogel-ferri/

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

For the Love of Winter


My abundance is in winter.
I dwell in the peace
of the silent snow,
sitting by the yellow
light of a lamp
with a blanket and a book,
or comfortably close
to him on the love seat.
I find joy in the lack of humidity and
the offensive noise of lawn mowers.
I feel happy covering my homely limbs
with sweaters and jeans instead
of sticky sunscreen and sweat,
and I am justified drinking another hot tea.
There is beauty in the stark outline
of trees and squirrels against whiteness,
or watching my little dog sniff deer tracks
and race inside with a snowy nose.
To come out of the quiet cold
into the warmth of a home,
to hear the furnace kick on,
to snuggle up to a warmer body
under chilly bedsheets
is the abundance of winter.

4 comments:

John Ettorre said...

Lovely. You've pretty faithfully captured how I feel about winter also--at least until about mid to late February, when it's beginning to get really old.

Anonymous said...

Diane,
I just want you to know how much I appreciate you and all that you offer on your blog.
Leslie

bonnie said...

You are an inspiration! I love the picture you've posted with your winter poetry. May I add to the list: fleece pants and arm warmers, the heat of my laptop on my legs, wood burning fires, cardinals and red-headed woodpeckers against the soft gray backdrop, losing sight of Oakleigh in the woods as she matches the color of fallen leaves.

P.S. is tea a vice?

Lena said...

I so enjoyed that. Thank you for posting.