NO LIFE BUT THIS: A Novel of Emily Warren Roebling is available on Amazon and Barnes & Noble.


It is biographical fiction based on the life of Emily Warren Roebling considered to be the first female field engineer and highly instrumental in the building of the Brooklyn Bridge.


http://atbosh.com/authors/diane-vogel-ferri/

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Writing Thoughts


Henry Miller called writing divine dictation. There have been days that have felt like that - like it's Christmas morning and you've just been given an extra unexpected gift - the gift of words and ideas flowing through your fingertips. Of course, it's not always that way. The novel I am writing started that way. I don't think I was even sure I was going to write another one. I was sitting on my deck on a summer afternoon and characters began to write themselves through my pen! ( in first person too) A blessing, yes, but so far, two years of work have come along with them for the ride. Poems come to me out of some mystical place and at the most unexpected times. I sort of just wait for them to arrive most of the time. I don't know exactly why some of us are driven in this manner, but Erica Jong calls writing the first anti-depressant. Hmmmm, maybe so . . .


Here are some other writer's thoughts on the subject:


We write to taste life twice; in the moment and in introspection - Anais Nin


Writing is not a hostile act, but an act of understanding. Even when it's satirical, even when it's bitter - you only write about the things you care about. Indifference doesn't need to be put into words. Henry Miller


If you're a singer, you lose your voice. A baseball player loses his arm. But a writer gets more knowledge, and if he's good, the older he gets, the better he writes. (or she!) Mickey Spillane


Inspiration usually comes during the work, rather than before it - Madeleine L'Engle


(And my favorite) If God gives you something you can do, why, in God's name wouldn't you do it? Stephen King

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love these quotes, Anais Nin is one of my favorites!

Moohaa said...

I love those. I agree that Stephen Kings is the best. Writing is a balm for the soul, a voice when you don't have one. Thats from me.

CRUSTY MOM-E said...

these are all great quotes! It's almost Spring, how are you dealing with Winter almost behind you?? :)
Have a great Monday Diane, happy St Patricks day to you!

Always,
Elizabeth
p.s. Stephen's quote gave me chills..I'd never heard it before,..thank you for posting it here!!