NO LIFE BUT THIS: A Novel of Emily Warren Roebling is available on Amazon and Barnes & Noble.


It is biographical fiction based on the life of Emily Warren Roebling considered to be the first female field engineer and highly instrumental in the building of the Brooklyn Bridge.


http://atbosh.com/authors/diane-vogel-ferri/

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

A Dichotomy of Movies

This week I saw two movies at the theater!! It is rare for me to even go to the movies. I've thought about both of them and it's kind of funny how completely opposite they are. One was Prince Caspian (The Chronicles of Narnia). I am a C.S. Lewis fan, but not a big fan of fantasy. I admire and respect his theological writings. I saw the Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe because I knew the story and was very moved by the Christian allegory. I cried my eyes out when Aslan succumbed. Since I'm too boringly level-headed and grounded in reality I wasn't going to go see Prince Caspian until I heard Lewis's stepson, Douglas Gresham on the radio. He is the heir to Lewis's work and has been a co-producer on both of the movies in order to assure their integrity to Lewis's stories. Late-in-life Lewis married and adopted Gresham and his brother.
The movie Shadowlands is about this part of Lewis's life. Anthony Hopkins plays Lewis. I was fortunate to walk the grounds of Oxford University while on a choir tour in England. C.S. Lewis was a professor there, and after seeing the movie all I could do at Oxford was picture C.S Lewis strolling the Oxford campus - and he looked just like Anthony Hopkins! Sorry, I digress.
Gresham described in detail the moral and spiritual struggle that the four main characters go through in a world of corruption in Prince Caspian and how they each have to find their way back from it. That sparked my interest. But to me the movie was one big battle scene - bows and arrows and swords. I feel like I missed something. Sure there's the battle between good and evil and good wins, but the deeper plot passed me by. If anyone has seen it and gotten more from it I'd like to hear what you have to say. I guess I can read the book too.
The other movie was Sex and the City! I loved it! It's definitely a shallow guilty little pleasure, but it was fun and funny! You should probably like the show if you want to see it. I don't know why so many of us got attached to it. There 's just something about the women's vulnerability I think we can all relate to. I never saw it on HBO so I've only seen the cleaned up version. I went with a neighbor and sat in an entire theater of women (if you really want your hubby to go tell him there is, in fact, sex in the city :)
The other reason I like the show is that New York City is definitely the fifth main character and I have a life-long fascination with New York City. In fact, I'll be heading there again next week to see daughter!
So, two movies that couldn't be more different. One I should have learned more from I think, the other just plain entertainment. And there's my two cents - take it or leave it.

3 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

We were hoping Caspian would be good, but the bad reviews (which basically agreed with you) convinced us not to go. Too bad.

I got your comment about the email. Not to worry. No apology necessary. At least now I know why there were some long delays in your answering. It wasn't me after all. LOL

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I very much want to see "SEX AND THE CITY"...I LOVED The HBO Show and I have missed those characters...I have to wait for the DVD, unfortunately...Unless there is some way to see it on "Pay" TV...!
I LOVED "SHADOWLANDS"....When I was in England back in 1993, they were filming the location scenes in and around Oxford....
I have not seen the other film--the Caspian one...Again, I have to wait for the DVD!
It sounds like you had a WONDERFUL time with these two films!

Moohaa said...

I will now be finding Shadowlands because I love CS Lewis. I, too, saw Prince Caspian and I completely agree that there was too much battle (I guess that's what draws the crowds).

I loved the message that we shouldn't wait around for God to show up and fix things. We are just as capable as calling for help, seeking Him out in our need. .

I would LOVE to go to New York City, however I have never been a fan of the show.